22 May 2013 150 Unless greater efforts are made to reverse current trends, the world will run out of freshwater, the United Nations said today marking the International Day for Biological Diversity and urging stronger scientific alliances to understand and protect natural resources. "We live in an increasingly water insecure world where demand often outstrips supply and where water quality ...
In a surprising discovery, researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University have determined that vitamin C kills drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) bacteria in laboratory culture. The finding suggests that vitamin C added to existing TB drugs could shorten TB therapy, and it highlights a new area for drug design. TB is caused by infection with the bacterium M. ...
Video: Negative stigma still haunts HIV/AIDS patients Sublimely ridiculous would be more accurate.This decision is not going to increase blood donations and it's not going to make the blood system any safer (or less safe). So what's the point?It's not so much a step in the right direction as it is shuffling forward reluctantly for damage-control purposes. Nor is it a decision ...
LAKELAND, Fla. - Standing hand-in-hand with her twin sister, Kiera Wilmot took to the podium. "I made the mistake of performing my experiment outside of the classroom, however, that is the only mistake I believe I made," she said. Wilmot, 16, generated global attention after she was arrested on two felony charges for what her family calls "a science project gone wrong." ...
Could Dirk Nowitzki and Chris Paul be the next duo in the West? The Mavs will trade their 13th pick to make it happen. (Nathaniel S. Butler/Getty Images) The NBA Draft is still more than a month away and free agency doesn’t begin until July, but the Dallas Mavericks are wasting no time in the offseason to return to title contention next year with an aging leader in Dirk Nowitzki, who turns ...
81.5°F Mostly Cloudy
Kingdom of Heaven
On paper at least, Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven looks like a powder keg lobbed into a burning building. Considering the current global sociopolitical context, making a film about the 12th-century war between Christians and Muslims for control of Jerusalem would seem a ... ...
An interplanetary weather app, a spot-the-space-station tool, and a Mars greenhouse concept are among the winners of the 2013 International Space Apps Challenge. The contest solicited mobile apps and technologies that aid space exploration and enrich life here on Earth. Today (May 22), a panel of judges from NASA, the European Space Agency (ESA), and partners announced the winners of the ...
The Herschel Space Observatory captured imagery of colliding galaxies, called HXMM01 (~ 11 billion light-years from Earth and when our universe was about 3 billion years old.) A merger of galaxies is ...
Montreal's Plateau-Mont-Royal borough is turning an abandoned rail yard into a new protected green space that will be managed by a citizens' group that for years had lobbied for the land to be kept green.The land -- about the size of two soccer fields -- is in the Mile End neighbourhood, south of the Canadian Pacific Railway tracks between Henri-Julien and de Gasp Aves.Dubbed the Champ ...
A magnificent period piece from mid-19th-century Russia has just received a bit of a renovation. Five elements at the heart of the periodic table will never look the same again, following an update to their atomic ...
NDP wants RCMP to probe Senate expense scandal LIMA, Peru - Prime Minister Stephen Harper apologized Wednesday and said he was in the dark when his chief of staff gave $90,000 to Sen. Mike Duffy - a gift opposition MPs want investigated by the RCMP and probed by Parliament. "I'm very sorry that this has occurred," Harper said from Lima where he was on a trade mission. ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Comfort Hotel Portrush
I arrived into Portrush, after a journey from Belfast to Londonderry on the M2 Motorway. Having seen Londonderry I was ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Raleigh TimesRaleigh Times: Raleigh News Report in online newspaper format
The Raleigh Times is essentially a local Raleigh newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Raleigh, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Raleigh, North Carolina, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Raleigh Times.
Voting is on for 28 seats of the North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council in Assam today.
Over 1,21,000 voters are eligible to seal the political fate of 138 candidates. The Congress has fielded 28 candidates. The BJP has its candidates in ten constituencies. Nineteen former insurgent leaders are also in the poll fray.
Meanwhile, security has been intensified across Dima Hasao District to conduct free and fair polls.
Thirteen additional companies of para-military force and Assam Police battalions have been deployed. Ninety Six polling stations have been identified as very sensitive and 66 as sensitive. Counting of votes will be held on May 24. (ANI)
- New evidence supports theory of cosmic impact 12800 years ago
- Heffernan Latest tax dodge dulls Apples luster
- Teen who penned web-hit farewell song dies
- NASA investing in 3-D food printer for astronauts
- A Mega-Merger of Massive Galaxies Caught in the Act
- Defense witnesses offer contrasting image of Abaroa marriage
- North Carolinas Raleigh Adding City Jobs Giving Workers Raises
- JPMorgan celebrates banking team growth
- Public financing for judicial candidates faces opposition from Senate leaders McCrory
- 2014 NASCAR Hall of Fame class spans decades
- Gunmen kill 12 Iraqis in attack on brothel
- Oz women cricketers Down Under on top of world after hefty pay-hike
- Do-or-die for India women against Chinese Taipei
- Number of Afghan women jailed for moral crimes increasing says human rights group
- Women should enjoy their sexuality says Heather Graham
- Twister that hit Oklahoma caused $2 bn in damage
- FBI kill Florida man known to Boston bombing suspects
- US Senate panel clears key immigration reform bill
- North Korean special envoy visits China to win confidence
- Belarus dismisses US report on religious freedom
- Here are the highest-paid coaches in US sports Forbes
- Canucks fire coach Vigneault after 7 seasons
- Francona expects emotional Fenway return
- Gonzalez homers as Rockies down D-backs
- Report Suns cleared to interview Rockets asst.
- Guest Grow the economy with immigration reform
- Defying the odds in Yemen Syria and Turkey involves foresight
- Common Ground Obama scandal brush fires spread
- We still cry out to God when tragedy strikes Column
- How Benjamin Franklin Invented A Weight Loss Program Using Balloons
- Indo-China bilateral meet on healthcare sector held at Geneva
- Incentives push doctors to electronic medical records
- Kauai Clams gets OK from Hawaii Health Department to raise and sell shellfish
- Doctors Save Life Of Kaiba Gionfriddo Ohio Boy By 3-D Printing Him An Airway Tube
- Kaiser in preliminary stages of of buying Moanalua Golf Course land
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Raleigh Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- House bill lets Raleigh state renegotiate Dix property lease
- Cisco survey Bringing your own device is what all the cool kids are doing nowadays
- Report Coach K to return to U.S. men’s Olympic team for 2016
- Assistant COY Honorable Mention Mike Litzinger North Carolina
- Durham 259 Middlesex 11-2 | County Championship Division One match report