NEW YORK A Chechen acquaintance of dead Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev has confessed to slashing the throats of three people in a 2011 gruesome triple murder, federal law enforcement officials have said. Ibragim Todashev, who made the confession, was killed early Wednesday during a confrontation with the FBI and Massachusetts State Police in Orlando, Florida, a federal law ...
WASHINGTON - In a major counter-terrorism speech, President Barack Obama Thursday defended the covert US drone program and stressed that despite the controversies around it, the strikes are legal and save lives. He also said the use of lethal force extends to U.S. citizens as well. This disclosure comes a day after his administration acknowledged publicly for the first time that four US ...
QUETTA, Pakistan - At least 13 people, including two civilians, were killed in a car bomb targeting a police vehicle in western Pakistani city of Quetta Thursday, police officials said. The bombing also injured at least 20 people in the capital of Baluchistan province, riven by Islamist militancy and a violent separatist insurgency. The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the ...
JERUSALEM - US Secretary of State John Kerry Thursday separately began meetings with Israeli and Palestinian officials but appeared doubtful about his success on getting the two warring sides back to peace negotiations. This is Kerry's fourth trip to the Middle East in as many months of his assuming the office of the top US diplomat. He was been trying to revive a peace process that has been ...
ISTANBUL - Syrian opposition leaders Thursday began their three-day meeting in this Turkish capital city to decide on their participation in talks aimed at end the civil war in the country. As the meeting began in Istanbul a prominent Syrian figure in the opposition proposed a transition plan for the country that requires President Bashar al-Assad to hand over power to a senior aide and ...
66.1°F Mostly Cloudy
Respect Yourself: The Stax Records Story [DVD]
Originally aired on PBS last year after playing several film festivals, Respect Yourself: The Stax Records Story is a fascinating chronicle of Stax Records, the Memphis-based R&B label whose unlikely two-decade trajectory from small-time garage ... ...
Former England captain Ray Illingworth has said that although bowling star James Anderson is the best swing bowler in the world now, but his former teammate and Yorkshire legend Fred Trueman was far better. Illingworth's statement comes on the backdrop of the second Test against New Zealand starting at Headingley, where Lancashire cricketer Anderson, on 305 wickets, is expected to cruise past ...
The Taliban influence in Afghanistan may grow after international coalition forces pull out, while rising radicalism in Syria could lead to the country's disintegration, Russian military intelligence agency GRU has said. GRU chief Lt. Gen. Igor Sergun said the situation in Afghanistan poses a "serious challenge to international stability" and that the withdrawal of the International Security ...
23 May 2013 150 A United Nations official today stressed that Africa has taken positive steps to protect the rights of indigenous people, adding that the continent must continue making progress and avoid repeating mistakes made by other regions. "Africa has been consolidating and strengthening the legal framework protecting indigenous people," Senior Specialist on Indigenous Tribal Peoples' ...
23 May 2013 150 Arriving today in restive eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged all the leaders of Africa's Great Lakes region to throw their support behind a recently-signed peace accord which aims to ensure security, as well as development, for the long-troubled country. "We have the best chance in many years to bring peace ...
23 May 2013 150 The prevalence of obstetric fistula - a preventable and treatable condition linked to women's reproduction - among women and girls in developing countries is a denial of their human rights, senior United Nations officials today said urging global action to make childbirth safer. "The persistence of fistula is a result of human rights denied and a reflection of human rights ...
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
New York-New York Hotel & Casino
Awe struck us on our arrival at this relatively new hotel and casino establishment at the top of the Strip. ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Raleigh TimesRaleigh Times: Raleigh News Report in online newspaper format
The Raleigh Times is essentially a local Raleigh newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Raleigh, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Raleigh, North Carolina, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Raleigh Times.
Voting is on for 28 seats of the North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council in Assam today.
Over 1,21,000 voters are eligible to seal the political fate of 138 candidates. The Congress has fielded 28 candidates. The BJP has its candidates in ten constituencies. Nineteen former insurgent leaders are also in the poll fray.
Meanwhile, security has been intensified across Dima Hasao District to conduct free and fair polls.
Thirteen additional companies of para-military force and Assam Police battalions have been deployed. Ninety Six polling stations have been identified as very sensitive and 66 as sensitive. Counting of votes will be held on May 24. (ANI)
- NASAs Chandra explores hidden population of exotic neutron stars
- Hubble reveals Ring Nebulas true shape
- Rare birth of mega-galaxy captured by space telescope
- New Russian spacecraft reusable for up to five flights
- Shapiro Obama hits reset button on national security
- York County veteran finally learns he was officially a hero in Vietnam
- N.C. prisoners might lose legal advocates
- Zagunis HR in 9th leads Hokies past Seminoles
- Questions raised over checks at center of sweepstakes probe
- Tar Heels beat Hurricanes 10-0 in ACC tournament
- Greater attention needed for safe childbirths UN urges on inaugural Day to end obstetric fistula
- Do women get two types of orgasms
- Sonia Gandhi Nooyi among Indians in Forbes worlds top 100 Most Powerful Women List
- Daily dose of calcium helps women live longer
- Oz girls team coach says more women to pursue cricket career following pay rise
- Friend of Boston bombers had confessed to 2011 triple murders claims FBI
- Drone strikes are legal and extend to US citizens as well, says Obama
- Kerry holds talks with Israeli and Palestinian officials
- Royalty Pharma takeover bid fails to find Elan ecceptance
- Shinde reviews cooperation with U.S
- Fielders RBI single lifts Tigers over Twins
- Orioles Gausman poised in unsteady debut
- Report Mourinho to sign contract with Chelsea
- Trout moonshot helps Angels take down Royals
- Cabrera continues to rake Tigers rally past Twins
- Sergio Garcia chicken gaffe reveals our thin skin
- Throw Detroit pension trustees overboard
- State Rep. Jeff Irwin Prisoner Re-Entry an investment in public safety
- Jay Evensen On Memorial Day look beyond the fog of war
- In our opinion Utahs caucus system needs reform
- Soaring temperatures can affect quality of pills Doctors
- Denver federal appeals court hears Hobby Lobbys religious objection to Obamacare contraception provision
- Mother in labor during tornado reunited with nurses
- Doctors save baby’s life with 3D-printed tracheal implant
- Doctors save Ohio boy by ‘printing’ an airway tube
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Raleigh Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- CFO Perry James Is Named Raleighs Interim Manager
- Report Bain Capital might buy Harris Teeter
- Raleigh CFO named interim city manager
- Duke soccer player rides out storm in Oklahoma
- Report Duke lacks cash to finish renovations